Thursday, September 23, 2010

scratch board fun


knitwit, originally uploaded by avalilly.
So I found a book of illustrations by Virgil Finlay that reminded me how much I enjoyed playing with scratch board back in high school. I thought I'd give it another try and see what I could accomplish with it.

If it isn't hard to tell, this took a very long time. Scratch board is basically a thick paper (usually white) covered in china clay and india ink, which you scratch away to make the image. I use a tool with a tip like these:

I will be selling prints of this, probably in an edition of 50. My test print at the original size of 8.5" x 11" didn't yield enough detail, so I'll probably make them at 11"x14" instead. I just need to find the best place in which to sell them online and also how much to price them after printing costs.

Once that's figured out I'll throw a link up on here, if you happen to be a prospective buyer!

1 comment:

  1. thanks sass! haha, actually I thought of you a lot while I was making this. you're probably the most avid knitter I know of.

    I've been doodling a lot in the sketch book trying to come up with another design, but because it's basically the opposite of black lines on white paper, it's hard to get something that'll suit the scratchboard!

    ReplyDelete