Sunday, May 10, 2009

headshot fundraiser

As mentioned in a previous entry; "material goods", I offered to do headshots as a fundraising event for a friend so that I could in turn get some headshot photography experience. It was an interesting project to take on during the school year. I had obviously never attempted them before, but a couple friends from the film department rented me out some lights to use (thankyousomuch), so it turned out fairly well for a first try.

I didn't get terribly creative with any of these as it was my first go at headshottin' so I wanted to keep it simple, but here's some of my favourites from the edited batch of lovely peoples!













I think I learned more in the editing process than I did during the shooting. First, I'm still verrry much a beginner, but I can still see improvement happening since these were taken, so it's all good. Second, $30 is too cheap (even though I technically did them for free). The amount of time spent processing the photos kind of puts in perspective why a lot of photographers can get away with charging $300/hour. It was for a fundraiser though and we hoped to get a lot more people interested, so it was a fair deal!

All in all, I'm super glad I had the opportunity to do these. I now feel a little more comfortable being behind the camera and being able to interact with the model. Also, I definitly feel like I'd be able to take on more creative stuff for future headshot/portrait possibilities. I play around with that camera equipment of mine pretty much everyday and for only having it for a few months it's starting to get easier and easier to try new things with.

No comments:

Post a Comment