Thursday, March 19, 2009

special projects gallery

I'm in a fourth year drawing class, since the third year class of essentially the exact same design was full. We were given the opportunity to showcase some of our work in one of the university's galleries. I had three pieces shown. It ran from March 2nd-6th.




jaded
Originally uploaded by avalilly




girl with a swirl earring
Originally uploaded by avalilly




bikini of venus
Originally uploaded by avalilly


It's just a small space to show in, but any experience for the CV is good, right? I'm sure it's nicer for the work to be hanging in a gallery than rotting away in my $5 cardboard portfolio anyways.

I'm looking into getting a couple solo shows going. I want to expand on my modernized famous portraits series enough so I can atleast pair up with one or two other artists. Basically, I want to take famous portraits from way back when and apply modern day beauty/fashion trends to them as a lighthearted comment upon the frivolousness of our many ideas of feminin beauty ideals. Or something like that. Also, I have a thing for crazy squiggly light photos, so I'll probably give that a try as well. I'll elaborate on that another day...

4 comments:

  1. I like all of them, especially the humor involved in the redos.

    Your eye was the model for "jaded," yes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks! actually the "Jaded" piece is entirely drawn from a photograph by Lara Jade. if you click on the picture it'll take you to my Flickr page for that image and below it I have links to her webpage and Flickr account.

    it's one of my favourite photos and since I have free reign over what I draw in my class, I decided to pay homage to it I guess~

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all amazing, but I especially love the first one. There's something incredibly appealing about the texture of paint on canvas. I haven't seen your work for a long time; it looks like you keep on raising the bar for quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the first one is actually chalk pastel, the other two are pencil crayon. it got an interesting texture from all the workable fixative I had to spray on it to keep it from covering my life in chalk.

    thankyou though! =D

    ReplyDelete